Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Chasing the Sun



It was sunny the day I set out on foot into the heart of the Swiss Alps. I was able to camp and photograph in utter delight as I explored the peaks above Grosse Scheidegg. But as I arrived at my destination, the Bachsee, the sky began turning grim. I pitched my tent, alone on the shores of the lake, and went to sleep. When I awoke in the morning there was nothing to see but fog and rain and my own breath. I had come all this way to make photographs of the lake at sunrise and sunset, so I waited. And I waited. And I waited. After two days of snow and freezing rain I sought refuge in a rescue shelter. Then, after reading every word of the one book I brought, the storm broke. I awoke at 7 am to these rays of sun peaking thru the clouds upon the Bachsee and I ran with my camera to shoot every angle and part of the lake I could while the weather held out. But it didn't last and the snowstorm hit once again, so I packed up and trekked out.

Shot on a tripod at f/22, 1/30sec ISO 200 on July 23, 2010

5 comments:

Hana said...

Wow! Beautiful!

Rebecca Montclaire said...

Stunning!

Jim Ornbalm said...

I wish we had places that looked this good in Florida! Swampland is just not the same!

Lisa said...

Gorgeous! Worth it?

Glenn Douglass said...

Totally Worth it! Jim, i'm a bit jealous tho, cuz i love wetlands. They're beautiful in their own way.

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates |