Friday, January 15, 2010

She's a Meringue






Have you ever seen Four Weddings and a Funeral?
The part where Fiona corrects sweet Scarlett about thinking the bride looks lovely, "Scarlett your blind- she looks like a meringue!" I adore food, it makes me happy down to my toes. That said, I doubt I would ever aspire to look like a meringue... but if I did, I could think of many worse things to befall my wedding day.

In my early twenties I catered a beautiful outdoor wedding in the middle of nowhere. The ideal serene setting out in the country. Then it began to drizzle and eventually pour fat drops of rain on all of the guests and wedding party. There were almost no tents or overhangs and everyone ended up drenched. Some people fled to their cars with their jackets and pretty beaded handbags held up for cover.

In a state of shock and grief the bride stayed seated at the head table. All of her bridesmaids kindly kept their posts beside her. While making my rounds to collect dishes I eventually had to pass by the head table. I think everyone else was avoiding the task due to the conditions. I felt I had to say something to bride so I mustered up my best smile and said... "You're very fortunate. My grandmother always said it is the best luck if it rains on your wedding day. It means that you have made the heavens cry with joy." Okay, so my grandmother may not have ever said that. However, she did teach me to care for the feelings of others, so I figured a little white lie couldn't hurt. Thank god it made her smile. I noticed her maid of honor grasp her hand as I walked away with a stack of fine china and soggy leftovers.

Many of the guests politely excused themselves early and drove home. The mood sunk even lower until somebody convinced the DJ to begin playing music from the safety of one of the tents, despite the fear of electrocution. Little by little people began to dance in the rain, and why not they were already soaked right?! I don't think I have been at a wedding since were the guests laughed with such joy. They showed true love and a care for life in staying to celebrate with the bride and groom. I have decided, if I ever get married, that I only want to invite those who care for me enough to dance like happy fools in the rain... all others need not apply.

6 comments:

annie said...

What a WONDERFUL story!!! You are so quick witted----and caring.
I agree with you @ the invited---I'm starting to feel that way myself @ nearly everything---spending my time mostly with those who care to share...
annie

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I love this story....so glad I stopped by your blog...

3 Wren Street said...

A wonderful story !!! I just found your blog via the etsy featured seller thing and I have been enjoying poking around it for a bit now. It has officially been bookmarked. Lovely shop too.

Amy said...

what a lovely story. I love how you put this "I only want to invite those who care for me enough to dance like happy fools in the rain... all others need not apply"

I think this could be said of any type of friendship we would want.

Beth H said...

i agree with all of those above! beautiful story - wonderful sentiment. enjoy life every day with those who "get it!" i also found you via Etsy's featured seller article - glad i did. : )

Model Citizen aka Bonnie Rue said...

between the pictures and that sweet story you totally made my day. Thanks <3

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates |